Cape Fight League 7, what can I say? Well for me personally it was an incredible experience as I had my debut MMA fight. And without getting into, to put it simply. It is not Muaythai. That is all.
In terms of the event itself. It was a very long night with quite a few very entertaining fights. Definitely fight of the night for me was Endi Pegado vs Hishaam Kamish in a k1 bout. Juts wow guys, just wow. Neither backed down and just kept dishing out everything they could to the point that the judges after 4 rounds could not decide ona victor and had to go and extra round. As gassed as they were for going full out for 4 rounds, they gave it more. Even though he lost on decision, I was so impressed with Hishaam’s performance. The dude has become an inspiration and definitely gave me more heart to fight my fight. So thank you dude!
Some other noteworthy performances was Gideon Drotchie’s younger brother Hermias in his debut MMA fight. He faced a very tough Block Kabanda and walked out with the TKO victory in round 3. Submission of the night for me was Mordi Serraf (pictured above) with a super slick armbar. After taking some big shots standing he slipped this beauty of armbar on and got the ‘W’. Josh Light’s KO of Juan Logrietta was simply brutal! Our thoughts are with Juan for his recovery, he has suffered 2 broken vertebrae and a concussion. But is healthy and recovering, we spoke to him yesterday afternoon.
There was one incident that I was rather upset about but had to put it out of mind till now. During one of the kickboxing fights, there was an athlete that was clearly dominating the fight. I did not see what he got caught with, must have been a kick or knee, but he put his hand up and grasping, with his other hand, ribs just below is arm pit. This should signify a verbal submission or giving up. Even his opponent stepped back and didn’t want to engage. However, the referee seemed to completely ignore what was going on and told them to fight. The injured fighter just stood there and dropped from being hit cleanly while he could not protect himself. The referee is there to protect the fighter and this should be investigated and the sanctioning body should take action for this. There is a difference if a fighter is standing and swaying and defending himself to one standing back with his arm raised and holding onto himself.
Overall the event itself was a lot of fun and continues to get better every event, although the size of the card was a bit dauntingly big and by the time the main events were on many fans seemed a bit fatigued. But it is a definite must attend for the next one if you are in Cape Town in November.
CFL 7 Results:
1) Kyle pulls out and Raiden awarded the win.
2) Gerry Herhardt defeats Dewaldt Pretorius via submission in rnd 2
3) Rafiel Wazniack defeats Mathew Reymer via unanimous decision.
4) Loyiso Mabutsane defeats Nizaam via KO in rnd 1.
5) Steven Keyter defeats Patric Neadu via unanimous decision.
6) Monique Morrison defeats Anelda Williams via unanimous decision.
7) Steve Nwasu defeats Kobus Smit via submission in rnd 1.
8) Luke Skinner defeats Sherwin vd Westhuizen via unanimous decision.
9) Armand Scheepers defeats Steven Keyters via Armbar in rnd 1.
10) Kyle Boatwright defeats Ross Church via armbar in rnd 1.
11) Sipho Mode defeats Dwama Fafa via RNC rnd 1.
12) Ian defeats Duane Jones via RNC in rnd 1.
13) Hermias Drotschie defeated Block Kabanda via TKO in rnd 3.
14) Shaun MacWayne defeats Theo Engelbrecht via TKO in rnd 1.
15) Mbusu Mgwabe defeats Ashley Robinson via TKO in rnd 2.
16) Endi Pegado defeats Hishaam Kamish via unanimous decision in extra 5h round.
17) Bongani Ngceshe defeats Jermemiah Joshua via DQ.
18) Qaasim Coetzee defeats Josh Ignatovic via guillotine in rnd 2.
19) Thuthando Biko defeats Guy Lazarus via unanimous decision.
20) Mordechai Serraf defeats Rui Monteriro via Armbar in rnd 1.
21) Josh Light defeats Juan Logrietta via KO.
22) Robert Harris defetas JP Melim via Keylock.
23) Zeeke Norris defeats Mathew Marais via unanimous decision.